For Bill Gates, AI is the greatest revolution since the personal computer

zygose

For Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, the development of artificial intelligence is simply the most important technological advancement in decades.

In a blog post published on Tuesday, March 21, the billionaire did not hesitate to mention artificial intelligence as an advance. as revolutionary as mobile phones and the internet Bill Gates’ article begins with the following sentence:

In my life I have seen two demonstrations of technology that I thought were groundbreaking. The first time was in 1980 when I discovered a graphical user interface […] The second big surprise came last year. »
Bill Gates shares his enthusiasm for artificial intelligence

Bill Gates said he has met with the team at OpenAI, the company behind the chatbot ChatGPT, several times since 2016, which has recently been updated to the GTP-4 model. In 2022, he challenged them: create an artificial intelligence capable of passing a level A (Advanced Placement) biology exam, without being specifically trained to answer biology questions. The AI passed the exam with flying colors with a near-perfect score of 49 out of 50.

Bill Gates, of course, tested the AI himself by asking him to write a response to a father with a sick child. The answer seems to have impressed the philanthropist:

He wrote a thoughtful answer that was probably better than most of us in the room would have given. […] I knew I had just seen the most significant technological advancement since the graphical user interface (GUI). »
The graphical interface, which was created in the 1980s and is the origin of Windows and macOS operating systems, allowed users to interact with computers in a visual way, using pictures and icons. A step up from the textual command lines used at the time.

The future and the risks of AI

For Bill Gates, who now devotes most of his time to the “Bill & Melinda Gates” charitable foundation, this technology can help save lives:

AI-driven improvements will be especially important for poor countries, where the vast majority of child deaths occur under the age of 5. […] Many people in these countries never go to a doctor, and RNs will help the healthcare workers they see to be more productive. »
But for Gates, “market forces will not automatically produce AI products and services that help the poorest, the opposite is more likely”. To ensure that AI will be used to reduce inequalities, he reiterates the need for reliable funding, good policies and philanthropic actions.

To discover : How hackers use ChatGPT to drain your bank account
He is taking the opportunity to invite governments to work with industry to mitigate “the risks” of artificial intelligence. Words that echo those of OpenAI’s CEO who admitted to being “a little scared” of the risks of AI if it were used by malicious people. For Gates, AI should be used by humans to solve important problems:

Just as the world needs its smartest people focused on its biggest problems, we’ll need the world’s best AIs focused on its biggest problems.. »
Source :

Port notes